Prices starting at $14.99 per page
October 13, 2015 - Posted to Writing
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics – Choose to be Different
When students are assigned an argumentative essay, their first thoughts are to think about some of the really controversial issues of today – immigration, abortion, health care, animal rights, the environment, and so on. And these are all great topic ideas for argumentative essays. They are also very common, and an instructor is likely to get several on the same topic. Do you want to stand out in the crowd and give your instructor a little relief from the boredom? Come up with some funny argumentative essay topics that will brighten his/her day (or night) and that just might get you a great grade.
Where to Find a Funny Argumentative Essay Topic
There are a couple of sources for topic ideas for you essay:
- Think about things that irritate you. If you are a male, your parents have always told you that, out of courtesy you should always put the toilet seat down for the females in the household. Why is that? You argumentative essay topic might be that female household members should always put the toilet seat up for the males. Here are some others:
- If the IRS makes a mistake in your favor, then they should pay you a penalty and interest on what you are owed.
- Coffee should be free and available in all campus buildings until noon every day.
- Music in malls should be banned unless it is energizing rock
- College classes should not begin until 10:00 a.m.
- There should be a senior citizen lane on every highway
- Slow shoppers have to stay out of the centers of the aisles
- Unless we’ve been attacked, no Presidential news conference should occur during prime time television
- Neighbors whose leaves fall in your yard every fall should have to rake them up
- No kid under 7 should be allowed in a restaurant where sandwich prices begin at $7.00
- DMV workers have to smile at every customer or be fined
- Scientists have to use plan English
- Airlines should pay each passenger $50 if a plane has to sit on the tarmac for more than an hour.
- Other sources for a funny argumentative essay topic can be found at a large number of online sites. Surf several of them and jot down what are the funniest to you. Once you have your list, you can then narrow the topics until you have one that is really funny to you. Here are some funny topics that seem to pop up a lot:
- Smoking is good for you
- Jocks should all have to take sewing class
- IRS auditors should have their very own afterlife location where they have to audit for all of eternity
- Lawyers should all have mini lie detectors strapped to their arms.
- There should be a law against men wearing skinny jeans
- Walmart should be everyone’s favorite store
- All rich people should have to live homeless one week a year
- Kids should be allowed to draw on walls
- People who allow their dogs to poop on other people’s yards should have to poop scoop for a Saturday morning
- Congressmen who deny climate change should all have to move to Miami
- There is the perfect solution to nuclear waste – pump it all under the Capitol Building
- Cat and baby videos should be banned from Facebook
These examples should give you a few good ideas for a funny argumentative essay topic.
Consider Humor for Some of Your Other Essay Topics Too
There are other essay type that lend themselves to humor too. If, for example, you are asked to write a descriptive essay, you might choose to describe a ridiculous outfit on someone you saw at the mall or methods by which young kids can hide their food so they can get dessert. There are any number of great funny narrative essay ideas too. Consider your worst date ever, or your attempts to chase down a fly that just wouldn’t leave you alone. And if it’s not too painful or recent, write a narrative about the most embarrassing time of your life so far.
Funny Essays are Still Essays
One thing you must not forget, as you have fun writing your humorous essay is this: while your instructor or professor may enjoy the topic and content, s/he will still want to see the basic rules of essay development followed. You do need an introduction, body paragraphs and a conclusion. And you do need to ensure that your grammar and composition will meet the expectations for your academic level.
Humorous essays are often a lot more fun to write. And if you can find a good topic, without being offensive, a humorous argumentative essay is one of the best types to write.